Monday, February 18, 2008

Normal is boring!!

I slept through my destination-ed station in the train today...
Of the numerous journeys that I have done between Mumbai & Pune (some nearing ordeals at times), it was the first time that I slept through one, and so much so that I didnt wake up till the train halted at Dadar station & was 5 seconds short of heading towards CST.
The reason behind it...
Well, very obviously the reason was that I didnt get enough sleep last night....
Enough sleep!!...now how much is that??...well in case of a a person like me it isnt short of 10 hours after a heavy day...
and was yesterday heavy enough??...
well it sure was...
with 8 hours in Chevrolet Tavera, from Pune to shirdi, with a four hour halt at shirdi....most of which was spent standing...
and to top it all a sleepless night before this long day so that the long day could be successfully executed...
well yes, it sure qualifies as a heavy day...
and after all that, the sleep that i got was not more than 4 hours, so it was obvious that i would have done what i never did on my way back from Pune to Mumbai in the past one and half years.
I pulled on my Jacket right over my head as soon as I boarded the AC Chair Car compartment of Deccan Queen Express. Right from the moment the train budged at 7.15 am to the moment it neared the railed bridge near Thane station( which was nearly at 10.00 am), nothing except the saddistic TTE woke me( for 20 seconds of what his daily chores & his entire purpose of being on board was). It was only after I realised that I was nearing thane did I move my jacket from over my head onto my shoulders in anticipation of Dadar station, which I guess( thats all I can do because I had slept again in the meanwhile) came about 12 minutes later.
The result...
Well, nothing too serious, I opened my eyes, looked outside the window towards what looked like a familiar sight( that it would have to anyone having lived in Mumbai, and gone around local training), it looked pretty much like Dadar Station!!
I picked up my belongings, which werent too many( thank God I believe in the "travel light to pune" policy) and rushed towrds the compartment door, which wasnt too far from my window seat, seat number 6. The sole man standing near the gate was God sent, for not only being there but also being prompt to my question, "Dadar??". I jumped off the train & turned around to see it budge & chhuk-chhuk out of the platform. Lucky me!!
If then else...
what if i would have slept through Dadar station??...in that case, someone would have woken me up when the train would have finally halted at CST...a shocked me would have got up, ambled out of CST station into what typically Mumbai Nagaria is pictured as. Cabbed towards Churchgate station & caught a Borivali bound train to get off at andheri station. now all that, if I would have stepped out of CST unatoned...
Boy, dont u get it...my ticket was from Pune to Dadar & a TTE at CST would have fancied atleast Rs. 50 from a criminal like me, who sleeps through an entire 3 hour journey and also her destination station.
Thank god, nothingof that sort happened, and if at all it would have happened, I would have really had to thank daddy for handing me in Rs. 200 early that morning, since my wallet wasnt loaded enough( well, "not loaded enough" is only overstating the weight of a 5 rupee note & few ATM & credit cards, none of which was equipped to satiate a corrupt TTE at CST station).
Alls well that ends well...
Thank God I woke up in time & thank God that I did manage some sleep, otherwise it would have been a sleepy Monday in office today, and thank God for all that happened, so many "to n fro" trips to Pune but no excitement...so to say, Normal was getting boring!!

No comments: