Monday, April 14, 2008

Comments & Feedback

A few days ago, I read a post that elicited the importance of comments left by readers on a blog. I personally think that comments left on one's blog, are indeed a source of encouragement for the writer. Infact feedback mechanism of any sorts, does provide the writer a zeal to write more and write better.
For the past month or so(eversince I have been blogging avidly), I have got feedbacks of several kinds. Some people who like to comment on a particular idea/philosophy, give feedback in the comments section of the blog. However, there are others who like to comment on an overall level, on my overall writing skills & the ideas that I express in general. Such people come upto me personally and comment on my work.
I must say the feedback so far is not only encouraging, its overwhelming as well. A couple of the feedbacks that I got in the recent times (that stand out in my memory) are as follows:
My friend from engineering recently told me that the stuff I write, is something that she and a lot of people in general( her assumption) can relate to. Of course when she said it, I accepted it gracefully, and I was indeed graced, considering that after several years of having lost touch with her, she decided to break the silence, pinged me and reported on my good writing skills. I was honored!! Now comes the reason why I am not too happy about that comment. When I look back at the comment made by her, I see an inherent contradiction in what I thought about my writing and what people think they are reading. I always believed that my ideas and philosophy are unique. I always thought, I think out of the box. But now it seems I dont!! I guess, thats the peril of having aggrandized a huge philosophy & a fixed mindset for years before deciding that u need to blurt it out, and you chose a blog to do that. Also I would say it is a limitation of a means like a blog, which creates more of a monologue, than actually an exchange of ideas. Or rather I should say that it is my blog which is more of a monologue (otherwise I have seen some other people write on their blogs & recieve hundreds of comments on every posting). In cases where comments on apost are abundant, the ideology expressed in the post, is liable to castigations, and inquisitions which eventually tell the author of the uniqueness, or the orignality of the idea and at the same time apprises him that what he/she is writing about is of concern to people. I would also like to point out here that my friend did mention that my writing style is very orignal, which i must say I accept with great pride, even on second thoughts!! Anyway, as long as the feedback flows in, whether through the comments section or through personally delivered remarks...I dont mind it!!
Another feedback that I recieved was: one of my friends really liked my one-liners. Though a lot of these one liners are not orignal, I think it was a feedback that I should be rather be proud of. In this fast moving, perpetual time-crunched lifestyle, if I express an idea or thought in just one line. What more can 'everyone in a rush' around me ask for...
All in all, I have recieved some handsome comments & feedbacks on my writing, which makes me feel proud of myself and my writing skills. For those who havent made their comments yet, mind you...good or bad...I am waiting!!

6 comments:

anandable said...

Being a small-time blogger myself I can totally relate to what you are saying. Feedback and comments are like oxygen to any blogger. After all if no-one is reading then a blogger will write a diary... Why would he waste time editing and polishing his blog.

I also used to get comments from unexpected quarters. At one point one 55 yr old guy settled in US, commented on my blog. He was from my college and could totally relate to my story. Things like these made me very happy. The feeling that maybe the whole world is reading my posts is thrilling.

Actually there are two type of readers. There are readers who like to comment and who want to make the writer feel special for writing a wonderful post. A comment is like a little thankyou to a teacher after attanding his class.

Then there are lazy thank-less :) readers who read the post...they enjoy,curse or whatever but they never write a comment. Some of them are really hasitant to put a comment for various reasons, some of them are really mean...they dont want to encourage you ;) and some as I said...are genuinely lazy.

There are certain limitations of comments. In comment section one cant debate about issues. Firstly because it will be such a long process it will take decades to reach a conclusion and secondly, every person readiing the post has his/her own assumptions and some of those assumptions are so much related to comment writer's upbringing and culture that stating them is not always possible.

I read 40-50 blogs everyday and I try to put comment on most of them...my reasons for writing a comments are totally selfish. I just want big bloggers to know that I also exist :) Apart from tht a comment gives me an opportunity to advertise about my blogs.

I have raised many issues in comment section of various blogs but rarely any writer has written a full post based on my comment. So here I take this opportunity to thank you for writing a full post based on my comment.

I am sorry I couldnt write a dedicated comment to that post of yours as I was travelling a lot and didnt have time to write anything. Plus I hate comments like "nice post", "nice blog" etc so I wanted to write something related to the post.

About your style of writing...hmmm I must say its fresh and I think at times your writing reflects the philosophy "dance as if no one is watching, blog as if no one is reading". SO I guess your blog (most of the time) is not targeted at a specific set of audiance. (Please tell me if it is true as I am a small time psychologist as well;) And that is the best thing...because most of the writers (big or small) are so attention seeking...they will write just anything to seek attention.

So your blog rocks...keep up the good work!!!

Shubham Nath said...

"dance as if no one is watching, blog as if no one is reading".
THAT IS AWE-SOME!!!!!
I think there is nothing that can define my philosophy in life (not only blogging) more appropriately than this staetement does.
I agree you are a psychologist too...so when are u starting your psycho-reading clinic?, i will sure be your first customer.
By the way, now i know why my friend commented on my one-liners, i sure have a prediliction for them!! otherwise out of this long comment of yours (most of the points i agree with), i wouldnt have just picked up this one-liner.
anyway, i think i have already fallen in love with it, and am seeking your permisision from you to use it as my blog description.

i like to play safe in these matters...lest someone alleges me of plagiarism, or lodges a patent law litigation against me...lalas like me usually try and avoid trouble of that kind....
waiting eagerly for your permission
shubham

anandable said...

Madam, according to cyber laws, anything written on your blog is your property. Of course, Google has first right of refusal on it.

My best wishes are always there with you if want to use this line as your tagline...waise right now also ur "standing at the end of tradition wala line is also very good(Btw Is it original?).

About my psycho-clinic, with the grace of God is running for last 10 years. Seriously...till now i have counselled atleast 30-40 ppl :)

Anonymous said...

hey rich..I thought it was high time that I left you a comment coz all this while ( a month or so)..I have been enjoying reading most of your posts and though the description of sleeping through a train journey..jacket on your head was okay, I really enjoyed the hubby earning less than wife and that photo session at some IITK fest and the one where you had my mention and my sense of telephone timing..guess one of the comments describes my kind of readers..the lazy, thankless ones!!!good job kid sis :)

Shubham Nath said...

anandable.... so then i dont fear any kind of allegations on using the tagline that you have so innovatively & kindly created to describe my psychology...as for my current tagline it is not orignal... it was said by the character Howard Roard in Ayn Rand's book Fountainhead...i hope you have read it...it sure makes a gud read!!
for the psycho-clinic i think i will soon have to fix up n appointment with you;) any electronic contact information from your end would really be appreciated



Riti...even if you hadnt left me a comment, I knew you must and had been jasoosing on my blog or for matter my orkut, or whatever public info is available on me ( that is you, i knw that, and nothing can change that habit in you, i pitty jijaji!!)...thanks anyway for thinking that i am doing a good job...

anandable said...

ya I had read fountainhead ten years back. Now I guess my memory is failing because of old age:)...maybe thats why i forgot about it.At one point of time she was my favorite author. Incidently i have read all her books and I liked "we the living" the most.

anandable@gmail.com