Friday, May 2, 2008

Modesty vs. Arrogance

Today is my last working day at Bank of America. Usually a last day post will elicit the mixed feelings that one goes through, and how the past experience makes one feel heavy while the anticipation of a better future enstills excitement...and blah blah...but this wont be the usual last working day post.
I will tell you something very intersting that I am going through today. Each time I meet someone in office today, they ask me where am I moving too and what kind of role is it, some even went on to asking me what title I would be holding in my new position. Now the last part is where I got stuck with, when most people did the interrogation. Not that the title I am moving on to is not worthy of a public display, infact it very much is - it is Associate Vice president with HSBC bank (that sure sounds something!!) but I just didnt feel like telling this to everyone (there were very few people whom I told this to). One obvious reason I can think of, is 'modesty'. I didnt want to brag about my new title. But how come modesty struck me on this day when I should be flaunting my achievement. And in fact I am a pretty brash person, very arrogant at times too. As I wonder about all this, I am reminded of my own philosophy about modest & arrogant people.
I ardently belive that : Arrogant people know their worth, while Modest people always doubt it.
Delving into my own philosophy i realise that the reason why i decided to be modest about my new title is that, perhaps I am not worthy of it!! Which is not very surprising, at 25 years of age, and less than 2 years of corporate experience i am graduating into a managerial role, it is definitely an achievement worth bragging about(which i prefer to handle modestly). Infact when i was being interviewed for this role (the two rounds of interview i had), the main focus of the interviwer was on taking assurance from me that i will be able to handle the challenge of managing a team. They went about recurrently asking me "do u think u have the requisite eperience and ability to handle a team?"...when this question came repeatedly i felt like asking them if i was being intrviewed for the post of AVP or if i am being asked to replace Naina Lal Kidwai. Anyway, that doesnt look like the case now that i have thoroughly read the details in my offer letter. But i still thought both my rounds of interview were quite strange, in one of them the interviewer was trying to be sure if i would be stable in the role for the long run so he asked me "why i was looking for a change after only 18 months at Bank of America?". I thought that was stupid because in my opinion 18 months is pretty good time in an organisation (difinitely not questionable). On the lighter side however, i wanted to tell him in Bunty & Babli style, "ye jo world hai na world, isme do tarah ke log hote hain, ek jo sari zindagi ek hi kaam karte hain, aur dusre jo ek hi zindagi mein saare kaam kar dalte hai...i am the second variety, who wants to work in all kinds of banks in this lifetime"...thank God i didnt blurt this out or else the interviewer would have said, "Good, you are in the right city, but perhaps the wrong address, Goregaon film city is only a few kms from here!!"
Coming back to the point, i think i will have to part from my arrogance for some time in my new job, untill I gain complete confidence on myself that i am actually worthy of the title and role that i have been awarded. I dont think I should mind that, changing roles at times have their own advantage and own set of fun...so best of luck to me in my new endeavour....thanks!!

No comments: