Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An excuse to remember IIT days

I had a long look at my photo on this blog. Hey, I look pretty!! dont I??

This pic was clicked on the day of GH's Diwali function...now what was it called...I just forgot...I dont believe...has it been so long that I have started forgetting things at IIT...or was it that i never stayed there long enough to get used to the names...but anyway...that day was also the eve of my birthday. I still remember Neeraj having sponsored my birthday cake that we cut in the basky court that night. He just sponsored the cake, and never even came for a bite. The reason was evident when we all tasted the cake...it was far from great!!
Coming back to the pic...it was clicked by Arpit Srivastava..he was a third year b.tech student...whom I had scowled at, at the photo exhibition of antaragni. Reason being"I wasnt even clicked in a single photograph" ( Arpit was the photography club coordinator or something of the likes). Since I bandifully shouted at him, he agreed to click my snaps on some other occassion. To ensure that he doesnt procastinate the issue & get away with it, I told him to do it on the GH function (i am still not able to recall the name) and click my snaps. To that he replied that he wasnt invited. Now, I have this soft-corner for boys@IITK who didnt get a chance to attend these events at GH. So my first reaction was that I invited him over as my guest for the evening. So I had one more guest in the long list of guys whom I had already invited over. Occassions like the one I am talking about made girls in IITK really regret the skewed ratios. Because a girl had to invite several if not numerous boys, which ended up being an expensive affair. In case of the MBA girls, 7 of us were inviting the 40 boys of our class + some other personal guest, which in my case were Arpit & an alumni called Rajendu who was in campus for a visit at that time. Neeraj & Pathak were already invited by Urvashi ( they all belonged to the same deptt. - Civil). For the batch of 2006, it was famous that all notorious people on campus belonged to the Civil Engineering department- Urvashi completely lived up to it; and did I forget to mention that Neeraj & Pathak were the definitions of 'notorious people'!! More on the 2006 Civil Engineering deptt. some time later...
I could hear the gleeful thankyou from Arpit when I extended the invitation. He was pretty overwhelmed at the prospect of being in the midst of girls in GH. And for that, being someone's personal photographer was very little price to pay.
Arpit's first time at GH, was not so eventful, atleast thats what i felt! I dont know what the videoscope of his eyes had to say about the whole evening. He sure was at task, he had borrowed a digi-cam from somewhere, to make sure he justifies the cause of the invitation. He clicked me on several occassions throughout the evening, and everytime he would go 'clik' he would explain (read caveat), "photographs from digi-cams are never too good!!". By the end of it, I wanted to tell him that I wont mind taking the blame of bad photos on my average looks, but him blaming the digi-cam was something I wasnt really appreciating...anyhow I didnt tell him..because I thought he really was obliging me by clicking me when he could have well treated his visual senses to much more...
Next day was Deepshikha ( yes I remeber the name!! this was the Hall-2 diwali function, I also remember the name of the Hall-3 diwali function - it was Deepanjali). Since I had invited Arpit for the GH function, it was obligatory for him to invite me to his. So I was invited to Deepshikha. Now I really appreciated that because Arpit by virtue of being a hall 5 resident, wasnt entitled to invite me to deepshikha. However, his roots were hall-2, so he had asked one of his bachchas to arrange for a dinner coupon for me. Not that I had to feel so thankful, because even if he wouldnt have done that, Neeraj or Yash or someone would have taken me along, and have me have their dinner coupon( which they got by virtue of their executive member status in the Students' Gymkhana). Oh ok, so it wasnt Urvashi who had invited Neeraj & Pathak...tabhi main kahoon Urvashi itni dildaar kab ho gayi!!...One thing about Urvashi -She was quite a 'Lala', I mean not only by virtue of being Urvashi Srivastava, but also in the true sense of it...but I wont elaborate too much on that because I am one too...though not in the true sense!!
Anyway Deepshikha was far more entertaining than was the previous evening in GH. I had always heard in GH that Hall-2 skits are very famous (rather infamous) for their notorious content. Infact Urvashi had told me that in the first year the hall-2 guys had named some girls(Ruchera & Vindhya to be precise- who were the babes of 2006 batch) as part of their script. Also it was said that Vindhya had apparently walked out after seeing such a direct onslaught of her identity. Also there was quite a hype & hoopla about the whole thing, which had branded the hall-2 guys as being the more indecent lot of their batch. And as if that wasnt enough, Neeraj once told me that in the first year they had reared two puppies in hall 2, one of whom was called Vindhya & the other Ruchera. Of course Vindhya was Neeraj's favorite...I mean the puppy Vindhya ;), so I had heard more about Vindhya(pun-intended). So in the 2006 batch hall-3 guys had the 'decent nice guy' image. I guess that is where my prediliction for CMT (over Neeraj) had taken birth. I mean girls always prefer 'decent nice guys' so no matter whom they hang out with. Hall-3 guys always evoked in me 'more sense of respect'.
Since I had heard so much about the hall 2 skits, I was fancying the chance of being audience to one of them. And I must say the Hall-2 guys didnt disappoint me in terms of the content. I dont remember much of it, but I remember a boy in shorts(read underwear) & vest (he was a shaktimaan alias), who entered the scene, rotated on his feet yelling 'fak fak fak fak fak' ( pun-intended). That was just amazing!! I mean I was rolling with laughter, no matter how hard I tried to act like the decent GH junta. Arpit, who was sitting next to me during the course of the skit, I must say was then the most uncomfortable boy on earth. One because his experience in girl's company was limited, and two that too on an occassion when a boy would just want to be a pervert boy...... I am sure he was regretting having brought me along.
What made the evening even more memorable was that it was my Birthday, and just when we were heading for the dinner area, I heard an announcement that said "President Neeraj Kumar wishes the girls respresentative Shubham Nath a very happy birthday!!". My first reaction was shock, in front of a packed hall-2, that was the last thing I wanted lest I wanted rumours... My second reaction was this couldnt have been done by Neeraj, but before I begun to guess, the culprit confessed his crime - it was Haria's idea ( yes the games & sports secy, whose name was indiscriminantly used to describe someone's foolish behavior- "Arrey, tum Haria ho gaye ho kya!"). My last reaction, on this issue was, "its ok". And now when I look back my reaction is "a memorable birthday!!"
Not that today is my birthday....
Sometimes I think, I just need excuses to remember IIT days. So coming back to why I created this post, I mean the pic. That pic was clicked by Arpit Srivastava in VH ( when we went to drop Rajendu) on the day of....i have still not recalled the name of the function - but i guess everyone can live without it, now that the article is getting over!! Out of the 50 odd pics that he must have clicked that day, only two were worthy of maintaining in my pictures' folder. I mean Ankit had told me digi-cams never produce good pics...so that was ok ;) Out of the two pics, One is this one & the other is the thumbnail of my gtalk - Thanks Arpit!!

4 comments:

Shubham Nath said...

Ok...the Gh diwali function was called Jyotika...it bothered me all mroning...but finally i did recall...

anandable said...

I so much identify with Arpit. For all four years of my stay at IIT I so badly wanted to get an invitation for GH function. Needless to say I was never invited and that left a distinct impression on my personality. :)

anyays, It was another hilarious post!!!

Shubham Nath said...

i am glad that u found it hilarious...
and while in IIT I did realise that GH functions were indeed very coveted...so I can understand how u must have felt having never been invited there...
now that u have mentioned this though...if we both ever go back to IIT (very hypothetical) in the same era, you surely would get an invite to one of those functions from my side ;)..and dont worry I wont burden u with any menial task like clicking pics :))

Anonymous said...

really some wonderful writing...